Unique Challenges for Government Facilities
The management of energy for county and municipalities in the government sector typically involves a team of, “Commissioners or a Municipality Manager, and their Facilities Director”, or an engineer or public works director who was delegated the responsibility. Having the proper expertise to adequately understand the highly complex energy commodity market, along with all of the industry specific contract language, deal structures, and processes pose a significant challenge to staff that is already spread thin with managing all of the other operations of the municipality or county government.
Due to the vast difference in the types of accounts ranging from airports to treatment plants to fair grounds to street lights, along with the energy volumes consumed by municipalities or counties can pose a significant challenge to properly managing your accounts. Even very small changes to your energy rate can be significantly magnified on the bottom line of a financial statement.
With energy commodities, there are very good times to transact in the market cycle, and very bad times to transact. Simply transacting when your existing contract is nearly over puts your municipality or county at risk, because the market may be at a very bad entry point, causing the municipality or county to lock in at inflated prices.
In municipality or county governments, Managers and Facilities Directors are expected to represent to the municipality or county board that all of these things are being done properly and that their costs are being minimized to the greatest extent possible. This is difficult to properly handle internally.
How We Can Help
KEYTEX Energy specializes in working with school districts, understanding your unique challenges and giving you the peace of mind that proper decisions are being made:
- We provide a single point of contact that gives you access to our entire team of energy professionals. We make sure nothing is missed, and we make sure everything is done according to “Best Practices” for the industry.
- Our staff is heavily weighted toward technical professionals, such as engineers and quantitative analysts. This is especially important for municipality and county clients. We are uniquely qualified to do the analysis necessary to make sure that you are not taking on unnecessary or unexpected market risk.
- We are available for onsite meetings including municipality or county board meetings, as necessary, to support our recommendations and provide insight into the energy markets.
- We provide market updates and recommendations as to exactly WHEN your next contract should be signed, so that you can maximize your savings.
- We understand that for municipalities and counties, there are many special projects that will come up, such as building renovations, major new constructions, and even on-site generation projects. The energy aspect of these projects can be very important. As a client of KEYTEX Energy, we make our entire staff available to support you as these projects unfold.